Saturday, February 17, 2007

Martin gets hair

We finished Martin last weekend, but didn't manage to get any hair on him. We made him a toque to wear to school, but looking at him...well, you see what I mean.

Oldest is sick. He's got a terrible fever. Consequently we've not been out and about the way we usually are and I got some time to get going on finishing Martin up.

We started with wool (acrylic) that Oldest chose the colour of. I wrapped it on a piece of cardboard that was 1.5" X 12". I tried to keep the wraps relatively even, and NOT stretch the yarn as it went around the card. If the yarn is stretched at this stage, it will shrink up and not be all the same length once cut.

Once the cardboard was wrapped along it's full length, I stitched along the edge of it with my sewing machine using a blind hem foot, with the needle position moved over to the left a little. The goal was to stitch through each of the yarn wraps. I shortened the stitch length, too, just to be sure.

Once everything is firmly stitched, I cut through the wraps along the opposite edge to the one stitched. This gives a kind of mini feather boa-like fringe. For those of us born at the beginning of the '70's, it reminds us a little of carpets that we learned to crawl on...

I made about 8 of these little boa fringes, but in the end only ended up using 6.

The next bit was fun. Starting at Martin's crown, I stitched the fringes to his head in a spiral pattern. If I'd had my head screwed on tight I would have drawn a hairline guide right on his head before I began. Once I got stitching around in circles things got a little lopsided...the good news is that the lopsidedness was solved by just adding more fringe!

This is a point where you can stitch the fringes as close together or far apart as you want. I placed these ones about a 1/4" apart, closer at the crown. I didn't want anyone to be able to see any of the fabric through the 'hair'.

And so, Martin is ready. Not for his debut, as he has been telling jokes and doing some disco dancing ever since his arms and legs were attached. Ready, perhaps, for his close-up, Mr.Demille!

Now, once Oldest is feeling better, he'll have us all in stitches!

Have a great weekend,

Lisa

6 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

What a great head of hair! If only it was that easy with real hair. Fun project for you and your son too.

Lisa said...

Thanks, Debra. I wish it was that easy for real hair, too! Then I'd have a wig for any occasion...

QuiltNut Creations said...

how cute is he?

our oldest two are sick as well-have had the fever for 2 days ugh! hope everyone at your place are better soon

Samantha said...

Martin looks great- hopw your oldest is feeling better soon.

Lisa said...

The boys are better, oldest went back to school today...I'm the one who's sick now...blech. This fever is nasty. I hope I don't end up with the wicked cough our Oldest has...

hardenbrookgirl said...

You were so clever to put all this together! I've made many cloth dolls before, but I never would have thought to make a "dummy" out of cloth. What a perfect solution!