Monday, February 05, 2007

Hummingbirds - quilted at last!

This has been a long time coming. For those who've been following this blog for a while...it's finally quilted!


This was a tough one to do - I was putting it off, imagining different quilting treatments, thinking of this, of that, when all I had to do was put it on the machine and start quilting.


Once I got going, everything seemed to fall into place. I had the right colours of thread (o happy day) and the machine is running beautifully. Since upgrading to the new APQS foot I've found that there I've got so much more control while using templates...which comes in handy for stitch-in-the-ditch.


Most of this quilt was done freehand. I only used templates for a few little picky parts (around the Hummers). My current favorite templates are the Sew Clear MiniCurve and the Sew Clear MiniTri! They're what I've been using with the art quilts as well.

Originally, there were to be Angelina Fibres on this one, in the flowers, but they just didn't look right with the rest of the piece. I may still add a couple of beads, here and there, but I think that'll be it for embellishments.

Please pardon how dark the photos of the bottom of the quilt are...I don't know how to get the light to be even enough to make that part of the quilt show it's actual colours. The top part of the quilt is actually as light as it looks in the picture, The fabrics have a subtle gradation that gives a bit of an optical illusion in photos.


So, now the binding... what colour?

Lisa

7 comments:

Ramona-quilter said...

Lisa - this is quite lovely. I love the fern leaf treatment at the bottom. Great job. Linda

Lisa said...

Thanks, Linda. It's been a long time coming!

:)
L

Samantha said...

this is gorgeous- the quilting really compliments it! I would bind in the same green, or maybe purples?

swooze said...

For the binding I love the purples. Great quilt!

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

Maybe bind it in a darker green and let the purple be your focal point. Your hummingbirds are delightful!

tootsiesmom said...

Wow Lisa! Fantastic quilt and great quilting! love your blg, See you soon! debbie

Lisa said...

The jury's in. Purple it is!

Thanks for all your input!

L
:)