Friday, February 09, 2007

Customer Quilt

This is the quilt that I took off the machine last night - for those who love scraps, this is an extravaganza! She used all kinds of pieces from her stash and scrap pile, bringing it all together with purple fan centres and a warm white background. Using the repetitive block placement just accentuates the fun variety of the scraps in each block. Trust me, there's lots for a fabric lover to look at here!

I hope to get it back to her today.

Working on this quilt got me to thinking...I have a big stack of fan blades already cut out from my scraps. It's a project that I set aside as I was having trouble seeing the unity of design in it - it just didn't seem to be 'coming together'. After working on this scrappy beauty I've pulled out all those fan blades (280!!), enough to make 56 blocks. They aren't as diverse as I remembered, with the blades being mostly in the cool end of the colour register with a couple of warm reds and purples thrown in for fun. Thanks to this scrappy beauty, I'll be moving forward on one of my own UFOs.

For those who are following the cherub quilt: I've redesigned the borders (again) and hope to get the drawings completed this weekend. That quilt has a deadline for show entry that I don't really want to miss. I've not entered a quilt for competition in 5 years (of my own, that is. Many customer quilts have competed around the province).
Stay tuned!

Lisa

4 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

I have a fan quilt on my list of projects to do one day. This one is beautiful. I haven't started cutting any scraps yet but I have bought a ruler to cut the fan blades with.

Debra Dixon said...

I haven't seen a fan quilt in ages. It was the first quilt I made and I still love them. This one is very colorful and a great scrap quilt!

Lisa said...

This one got me going on my fan blocks again. After quilting this one for the customer, I sat down with my featherweight and put together all the fan blades that I already had cut! Now they're sitting here with other fabrics pulled for background and fan bases waiting for the next step.
:)

Anonymous said...

I love scrap quilts and this one is a stunner. The piecer did a great job of calming the scraps with the white and purple and your quilting is lovely.