This weekend was gorgeous, here in Nakusp. June brought summer with a vengeance - it was over 30 degrees each day, and we've already brought out the fan for our living room that usually doesn't come out until late July!
Our garden is bursting. Not having had a vegetable garden in many years I'd forgotten how quickly it grows. The beans hauled themselves out of the ground over the course of the day yesterday and are already stretching up toward the sun. It's been magical to share this garden with the boys, they are both so enthralled with the process of growth..how the plants are each so different from each other, the excitement of the volunteer plantlets (so far a pumpkin in the strawberries), how the pea is a pea from the first, how that is so incredibly different from a carrot, or a sunflower.
I've not been blogging much as I'm just staying at the sewing machine most days, and not doing much else. Things work wise are very, very busy and I'm doing my best to meet some deadlines right now (some things are already a little late, but I'm working hard to catch up).
I took some time yesterday to sit outside and do a little hand sewing. For those of you who have been reading my blog from the beginning, you might remember this project! I've been working on a hexagon quilt, sporadically, for about a year now. Every so often I'll sit down and do a block. Yesterday was too hot to dig in the garden, too hot to work in the sun and goodness knows I didn't want to spend my day housecleaning! It was the perfect opportunity, and I pulled out this little box of blocks and got a chance to revisit how much I love English Paper Piecing.
I'm doing a 'Martha Washington's Flower Garden' variation. It's like a grandmother's flower garden, but the 'flowers' are elongated, having an extra hexagon on each end. I've got about 14 blocks together now, and 4 half blocks - more half blocks are needed, too. Somehow when I sit down to do one I tend to go for the larger full block, not the half! You may see the WonderFil boxes in the photo at right - they are full (very) of hexagons that are already basted and ready to go. They were basted while I was watching T.V. at different times over the winter.
For all of you checking in to see the mosaic progress:
Things were held up for a bit. My DH built an edge to go around the piece and we attached it last night...so now I can grout it. Unfortunately for us, the weather is turning wet again, so I'll not get it done until there will be some predictably warm weather again. Don't worry, I'll post about it! In the meantime we're not in a huge hurry to get to the clothesline because the darn washer quit - for good - last week. No clean laundry to hang on the line at our house!