Tuesday, April 29, 2008

a little knit goodness in all the chaos


Thought I'd share a little something that I'm working on with you....

My first project in intentional fulling.

It doesn't look like much yet, but it will grow up (or shrink, more accurately) to be a French Market Basket, a la knitty.

Right now the bag base measures 12" square, the sides are about 10" tall, and the handles are in progress. I've modified it a little, based on some of the lovely finished projects on Ravelry....

I bought the wool for it in New Hampshire, at Pearl's. Apparently she's the only knitting shop in the city, and we were lucky that she was located so close to MQX! We snuck over to her treasure trove during one of our lunch hours.

I wish the colour would come out better in the photos! It's really quite lovely, all purple, blues, greys and gold. Once it's all beaten into shape I'll try to get some photos of it outside in better light. It's taking longer than I thought it would to knit, but I have to keep reminding myself that the body of this honey is 200 stitches...as much as the body of some of the sweaters I've been working on lately.

I've got a bit of a deadline for this one, though, as I'd like to take it in pre and post fulling for the kids in the grade 7 class to see...tomorrow with them I get to do Kool-Aid dying! It should be good fun. They're all busy working on vests to send to Afghanistan. The community has gotten involved in a big way, too, and many, many vests are coming in from ladies who have heard of our project. It's so wonderful to see them all displayed on the wall of the school as they come in...

Happy stitching,

Lisa

1 comment:

dot said...

I have made this bag and really liked it. My daughter snaged it from me and I will knit another someday. I have the yarn but just have not knitted it yet. Too many projects.