Sunday, October 14, 2007

More socks - and what I've been up to

Well.

I tried the weigh method, you know, to make sure I didn't have to dye more wool for Oldest's socks...and wouldn't you know it, 8 rows from the end, I ran out of wool. AGAIN.


So disappointing. I thought I had this one figured out.

Today, after dying a SMALL quantity more of Kroy, Oldest's socks are done. And keeping his feet warm.

Others who are parents of 10 year old boys will find it interesting to note that the first thing he did when he put them on was to test them for their 'run and slide' qualities.

Apparently they rate high in their 'slideability'.

This is a desired quality in a 10 year old's sock.

And now I've gotten started on Youngest's socks.

Here's a little peek of my current knitting corner in the living room...




Just so that you don't think that the blog has been hijacked by my alter-knitting-ego, I'm happy to report that I took a lovely drive yesterday down to Slocan, Castlegar and Rossland to deliver quilts and take in the Rossland Quilt show.

I've been reluctant to post pictures of quilts lately as I only like to post pictures of ones that I have permission for when they belong to customers. My regular work days are quite full of quilts, thread and fabrics, just not my own lately - ergo, little quilting related material to post. Let it be said, though, that I'm really enjoying the quilting and hope to be able to post something of it for you soon.

Back to yesterday...
I got to have a lovely visit with my friend Debra in Castlegar - she is always a lovely hostess and we always have more to talk about than time to talk about it in.
The Rossland quilt show was wonderful. Only their second show, it was really well hung and diverse! The guild there held their first show 2 years ago, and it, too, was really good. The group is very prolific, taking classes and doing challenges, as well as many, many individual quilts from individual members. It was a little bittersweet, as part of the time was spent goodbye to customers as their machine quilter.
A Hard thing.
This work has been an amazing opportunity. There are so many lovely people that I would not have had the occasion to meet had I not been in this line of work. I know that this is only one of the many aspects of this work that I will miss.

Happy stitching,

Lisa

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Cool socks and how incredibly irritating to run our of yarn with only 8 rows left! Sure glad the passed teh slide test!

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

Ah The 10 year olds high slide-abilty
sock comment makes perfect sense to me. Ranking by "How fast are your new shoes and how slick are your socks?"

Very pracical.. and they are really cute too.

Donna said...

slidability is a very important factor when having handmade socks -- ow else will your son be responsible for dusting the floors? :-)

I HATE running out of yarn for socks -- that's why, even though I don't make socks often, when I do I work from the toe up -- I can always unravel a few "extra rows" on one sock to make them the same height and call them done :-)

Lisa said...

Yeah, I like that idea! So far I've only done one toe-up pair...obviously I need to expand my horizons somewhat. So far youngest's sock is forecasted to be about 1/2" shorter than Oldest's - if I'm really miserly when I graft the toes I might just have enough wool. I guess we'll see.
:)