Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Gratuitous Fall Colours Post

I recently was reconnected with a friend I grew up with in the Fraser Valley, but have not seen for many years (thanks Facebook!) . She has since moved to a rather arid part of the U.S. and mentioned that she missed all the green. Susan, this post is for you!

Things are pretty glorious here right now. We are nestled in Columbia Mountains in B.C. along the Arrow Lakes. At this time of year we can look up and see the snow advance toward us, day by day. Youngest keeps asking if we can "get the winter clothes out YET? MOM?"...I haven't gotten all our summer clothes out of laundry rotation yet! I'm not going to throw the winter clothes into the mix!

Remember a few weeks ago I climbed Saddleback? This is how the peak looked yesterday. Yep, if you click on it to enlarge the photo, that little dot on the right-hand peak is the cabin I was taking photos from!

Things are not nearly so stark down here. We're surrounded by riotous colour at every turn. I always forget that many of the gardens here have been planted taking their fall colours into consideration as much as those that grow and show the rest of the year!

As evidenced in the photo at upper right, even the bamboo at the school next door will not be outshone colour-wise.

This is 5th Ave. I find myself going out of my way to go downtown along this route these days because the Maple trees are in such glorious form.

Here's one of those Maples from a little closer up, looking up, 'way up:











And this little honey...I don't even know what it is, but am amazed by the coral colour that it achieves at this time of year.



And it's all so fleeting. A good rainstorm or high wind will take it all away in a couple of hours.

Happy Fall!

Lisa

No comments: