It's a fresh pie, not baked - so if your fruit is in peak condition, this is really the best way to show it off!
Although I made this pie with blackberries, you can substitute any kind of berry, or cut up peaches, or plums... you get the idea. We have a HUGE blackberry crop this year, and I'll be making this again soon.
9" baked pie shell, cooled
3 oz pkg of cream cheese, softened and sweetened
4 C berries (rasp, black, blue or straw)
3/4 C water
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 C sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
- Spread cream cheese over the bottom of the baked shell. Arrange 3 C of your berries on top of the cheese
- Crush remaining berries in a saucepan, add the water, simmer 3-4 minutes
- Strain to remove seeds and add enough water to make 1 C of juice
- Mix cornstarch, sugar and salt. Add the juice and bring to a boil. Cook 3-4 minutes, until thickened and clear.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly and add the lemon juice.
- Spoon glaze evenly over berries in the pie shell. Chill until firm, garnish with slightly sweetened whipped cream.