Sunday, November 25, 2007

Rock Paper Scissors mitts

I know I promised this a little while ago, but here it finally is...the quick fingerless mitt pattern I worked up last weekend.

I'm calling them the "Rock Paper Scissors Mitts" in honour of our favourite portable game.

I used leftover Alafoss Lopi for Oldest's, and 3 strands of mystery acrylic for Youngest's.

Here goes:

With 6.5 mm needles, cast on 26 sts. (Use a provisional cast on if you like. I used a two needle cast on and was still able to graft the mitts at the end...read through and decide for yourself)

K 34 rows garter stitch (K each row). Cast off 4 sts at beginning of next row.
Continue in garter st for 10 rows more.

Graft 22 sts on needle to cast on sts. Graft last 4 sts to the ones cast off 10 rows ago.

Now make another one...before you do the grafting, make sure that you have a left and a right. I actually made the second one in reverse (casting on 22, k 10 rows, cast on 4 sts, k 34 rows, graft), but you don't need to. I do suggest that if you want to do this that you make a right and a left just so that the grafted stitches will be on the palm of each hand - in case of small grafting idiosyncrasies...

These mitts fit me, too, but you can make them larger by knitting a few extra rows. Try them on as you go. The first 34 rows should go around your wrist with a little ease. If not, knit another 2 rows and try it on again.

I know it's a pretty bare-bones pattern, but I was able to reproduce it enough to make mitts for both boys in time for the arm wrestling competition.

Let the games begin!

Lisa
:)

(I know some of you eager and competent knitters out there will treat this like jazz and make your own modifications and variations - if you do take the time to make some, let me know. I'd love to see them.)

1 comment:

CONNIE W said...

Thanks for the pattern...now I hope that one day I can knit them. I'm a knitting student at this time.