Monday, June 23, 2008

some sewing

With the final sales of shop fabric being done and the last of the website removed from the internet, I've finally gotten around to starting some of the projects I've been putting off.

On Friday last week I got going on a wrap A-line skirt, drafted and made following Bitter Betty's tutorial, found here.

I've been in love with these Jane Sassaman prints for some time and thought they'd make a great, summery reversible wrap skirt...

I followed Bethany's drafting instructions, but did a little improvising on the construction. *note* Bethany's instructions are GREAT!

Once the whole thing was turned right side out, lined up well and ironed, I topstitched all my edges (except the waistband). I like my fabrics to stay put, darn it!


I made my waistband a little narrower, and only used two widths of fabric for the waistband/ties which I made all in one piece, not in three as Bethany did. I liked her effect, but didn't have much time so did my usual trick of making it up as I went along...not always time saving, but in this case, the winds were blowing in my favour!

And here I am with my finished skirt. (Sorry about the dark, blurry photo...I'll try to get a better one at some point)


This may well become my favorite summer skirt.





Off to draft a pattern for Oldest's robe...he wants a traditional Japanese Hanten jacket...I can't wait to sink my teeth into this one!

:)

Lisa

1 comment:

Quilt Nut said...

it's lovely Lisa!