Thursday, September 14, 2006

Back to school!


Unbelievably, the kids are back at school again already. They seem to be having fun (at least most of the time) and are settling in to their new classrooms really well. I've talked to so many happy Moms in the last little while...happy to be able to spend more time quilting!

Myself, I've been revisiting that big scrap bucket I have here trying to make sense of all these funny bits of fabric that haven't been hacked up into nice, orderly squares and strips. Slowly but surely, I'm beating back the bucket, but I do swear these things multiply when the lid is on!
The best part of going through the scraps is revisiting old fabrics that I've used and loved for many years. There are so many memories of projects and people contained in those colours, textures and prints!

As mentioned in the previous post, my current pet project is a hexagon quilt (1"finished hexagons - yes, I am crazy). I've been using all the lovely little odd shaped bits from my scrap bucket to make hexagons - and I have to say, I'm loving it! I didn't think it would be fun to put together, but it really is.

English paper piecing is tremendously satisfying. All the bits fit together perfectly! I have about 5 1/2 blocks made right now, and am looking forward to taming more of those little hex's; in to long diamonds. Any ideas you'd like to share about what colour I should consider as the 'pathway' between them would be welcome. That's where I tend to get a bit stumped.

No comments: